- Each year 170 billion pounds of seafood is taken from the oceans.
- 260 millions tons of plastic products are created. Many of which are discarded after a single use.
- Not enough people are involved helping to protect our oceans.
Ways To Help:
- Eat sustainable seafood
- Use online guides to find sustainable seafood and good substitutions. A good version can be found on the Georgia Aquarium Seafood Savvy website.
- Download a pocket guide to keep with you that can easily be referenced. The Georgia Aquarium Foldable Program Guide is a great version.
- Have an iPhone or Android device? Download a app that can help you pick good seafood options. We like Seafood Watch created by the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
- Reduce your waste
- Start using reusable cloth shopping bags instead of the plastic bags provided my most retailers. Baggubag makes a great washable version that can be obtained at a low price. You can also likely find similar versions at your local retail stores.
- Start using bio plastics, glass, or paper when possible.
- Recycle all plastic materials
- Get Involved
- Help keep all waterways clean
- Research online
- Become and advocate by supporting non-profits that help protect the oceans and aquatic life.
Check out this great video by National Geographic